When one of the parties involved in a child support case lives outside of North Carolina, the case may be referred to that state's child support enforcement agency for action. The case is referred to as an intergovernmental case. Processing this type of case may be more time-consuming and requires additional documents.
If a child is conceived in North Carolina, or if the noncustodial parent has ever lived with and supported the child in North Carolina, action may be taken without involving the other state.
When the case is referred to another state, that state is required to provide the same enforcement actions to our case as they would a local case  Once the case is referred to another state, your local agent will not be in control of your case.