568 E. Lenoir St.
Raleigh, NC 27601
Directions to Crosby Garfield Center
Hours of Operation:
8:30 a.m.–5:15 p.m.
Services Available at the Crosby-Garfield Center
Wake County Network of Care
Crosby-Garfield Community Advocacy Group
History of the Crosby-Garfield Building
The names Crosby and Garfield have represented education in the African-American community for years, as has the name Chavis. The Chavis School operated from 1903 until 1908 as a high school and industrial school for "Negroes." The Garfield School (1881) was located on the corner of Hargett and Person streets in a former church. W.L. Crosby was its principal. The Watson Worth residence on East Lenoir Street housed the Crosby School for Blacks in 1897. The school was named for its benefactor Henry Crosby, who was an educator at Shaw University.
In 1910, the Chavis and Garfield schools were sold, and a new Garfield School was built on East Lenoir Street. J.W. Ligon served as its principal. Mrs. Julia A. Williams was the principal of the Crosby School. In 1920, the two schools were consolidated and became known as the Crosby-Garfield School. After a 1935 fire destroyed the Garfield School, the Crosby building was demolished, and a new modern Crosby-Garfield School opened in 1939. The school became part of the J.W. Ligon Magnet Middle School in 1982. It now serves the community as a county facility.
Barbee, J.M. Historial Sketches of the Raleigh Public Schools 1876-1942.
Simmons-Henry, Linda and Linda Harris Edmisten. Culture Town Life in Raleigh's African-American Communities