Wake County Human Services partners with many colleges and universities to offer unpaid internships to students working toward degrees in a variety of professional disciplines, including social work, nursing, public health, pharmacy, allied health, and dental professions.
Internships require that a student be currently enrolled in an academic institution and involve the completion of specified number of hours of specific experience to receive academic credit that leads to a degree in the student’s chosen field of study. The intern must be under the direction of an appropriately credentialed professional who completes an evaluation of that student for the student’s coursework credit.
Most interns are placed through ongoing agreements with local colleges and universities. Students are encouraged to first contact their college or university's field placement coordinator in their field of study when seeking a placement site. The university representative can then explore the possibility of the placement with Wake County Human Services. A college or university must complete a contract with Wake County Government in order to place students in our agency.
Human Services prioritizes internship placement requests that are received from NC-based schools with which we have a formal affiliation agreement. If we are unable to fill all available slots, then we will consider requests from other NC-based schools. We generally do not accept requests from institutions based outside of NC.
     Our current affiliation agreements include:
  • Barton College – Nursing and Social Work
  • Campbell University – Physicians Assistant
  • Duke University – Physicians Assistant and Nursing
  • Durham Technical Community College – Pharmacy Technology
  • East Carolina University – School of Social Work and School of Health Sciences
  • Meredith College – Public Health Education and Dietetics
  • NC Central University – Social Work and Nutrition
  • NC Central University – Criminal Justice
  • NC State University – Social Work and Youth and Family Services
  • Shaw University – Social Work
  • UNC-Wilmington – Nursing, Social Work and Health Education
  • UNC-Chapel Hill – Public Health, Nursing, Dental School, Pharmacy and Social Work
  • Wake Technical Community College – Nursing, Dental Assisting and Hygiene, Pharmacy Technology and Human Services Technology


Students who are currently attending the programs listed above should contact the placement coordinator at their school to request a placement with Wake County Human Services.


Students who are currently enrolled at an institution not listed above may still inquire about available slots by completing an Internship Placement Request Inquiry Form.


Due to the volume of requests that are received and capacity limitations, not every request can be accommodated.  
Contact Us:
If you have questions or feedback about Academic Internships, please feel free to contact us by telephone, email or during our walk-in office hours:
Denise Kissel, Resource Development Coordinator
(ph) 919-212-7083
(fax) 919-231-5716
The WCHS Volunteer and Internship Services programs are a function of the Office of Community Engagement.