Change My Address?
Why? How? When?
Why did I get a letter?
The numbers on the houses along a street should be in order from low to high, with odd numbers on one side of the street and even numbers on the other side.  If we notice an address that is out of sequence, we will change it and send a letter to the owner.
If more than one house uses the same driveway, then that driveway should be named and the houses addressed along that driveway.  Each house needs its own address – no sharing. 
Display your numbers on your house and at the end of your driveway.  Houses are usually addressed according to where the driveway is, not which street the house is facing.
Why do I need to change?
Although finding your house is helpful for deliveries and visitors, the most important reason is for safety.  What if you call 911 and can't talk to describe to the dispatcher how to find your house?  The extra time needed to locate you can make a significant difference in survival and degree of recovery from an accident or illness.
Correct addressing helps emergency responders to find addresses quickly.  Seconds count in an emergency.  It also enables utilities to be connected, outages to be located and repaired quickly, and efficient delivery of mail, packages, and services.
What if I don't?
You are putting yourself, your family, and your neighbors at risk in an emergency.
What if I use a PO Box for my mail?
You can continue to use the P.O. Box for your mail, but the new address is the location address of your house.
But the ambulance found me last year with no problem!
Logical and consistent addressing saves lives.  New emergency personnel may not know you. 
Who do I contact?
Let your friends and family know.  Notify any company that sends you bills, magazines, or other important information, such as mortgage, financial, and insurance documents.
Contact your letter carrier or the local post office about a change of address notification. 
Update your driver's license or DMV ID card at a local office or online at Each card you request will cost $10.00. For ID Card customers 70 and older, a new duplicate ID Card is free.
Wake County will send an update to the E911 system, the Board of Elections, Wake County Public School System, and update the location addresses with the power and phone companies.  This is not the same as your mailing address, so you still need to contact those utilities to change your billing address.
Keep the letter that you received from Wake County with your important papers.  If you misplace it and need a copy, contact our office.
What else do I need to change?
If you have other real estate, business, and personal property accounts with Wake County, we will update them for you.
For vehicle license plates and titles, an address change should be made at NC-DMV with the form MVR-24A. There is no charge. The form can be printed online and mailed, or is available at a DMV office.   Tax bills are created using the address on file with the NC-DMV.
 Is the county going to pay for my expenses?
Unfortunately, the county cannot pay.  The post office will continue to deliver mail with the old address for 12 months.
Do I need a new deed?
No.  Your property deed is based on the legal description, not the E911 address. You do not need to change the deed to your property.
Where do I display the address?
Put your numbers on your house and at the end of your driveway.  Make sure the numbers are large enough to be seen (at least 3" high) and reflective or near a light.  If your mailbox is at the end of your driveway, post the numbers there.
For more details on displaying your address, see the pamphlet Display Your Address!
How long do I have?
The information in the E911 system will be changed about four weeks after you receive a change of address letter.  The information will be distributed to the other agencies within a month.  The post office will continue to deliver mail with your old address for one year after the change.  You should post your new address within 30 days of receiving the letter.   It may take an additional month for the new address to be recognized by other address databases.
Did you know?
Wake County does not charge a fee to name a private road or post a street name sign. 
Wake County Regulations:
Section 2-5-65 Display of road address numbers
a.    Road address numbers must be clearly displayed so that the location can be identified easily from the road.
1.    The official address number must be displayed on the front of a building or at the entrance to a building, which is most clearly visible from the street or road during both day and night.
2.    If a building is more than seventy-five (75) feet from any road, the address number shall be displayed at the end of the driveway or easement nearest the road, which provides access to the building.
3.    Numerals indicating the address number of a single-family dwelling shall be at least three (3) inches in height and shall be posted and maintained so as to be legible from the road.
4.    Numerals for multiple dwelling units and nonresidential buildings shall be at least six (6) inches in height and shall be placed on the front of the building facing the road or on the end of the building nearest the road.
5.    Numerals must be of contrasting color to the background.
6.    Mobile home lots shall have sequential address numbers throughout the park. Each lot will have a separate address number assigned. The address number of each lot must be clearly displayed on the lot so as to be legible from the road rather than mounted on the mobile home unit.
b.    The address program administrator will have the right to authorize and approve alternate methods of displaying house numbers, which meet the intent of this article when strict adherence to these standards cannot be reasonably be met. (Ord. of 6-30-88 & 5)