​School Concession Stands, or "Limited Food Service Establishments," are typically those sponsored by PTAs and Booster Clubs. These concession stands prepare and serve food only at amateur athletic events, like school football or basketball concession stands. Permits for limited food service establishments can only be issued to:

  • Political subdivisions of the State (towns, cities)
  • Establishments operated by volunteers that prepare or serve food at amateur athletic events
  • Establishments operated by organizations that are exempt from federal income tax under section 501(c)(3) or section 501(c)(4) of the Internal Revenue Code.

Examples would be high school concession stands or concessions at recreational sports leagues. 


Limited food service establishments are inspected twice a year. Grades are not required to be posted in these facilities.

Online health inspection scores are available soon after the inspection is completed. 

Want to set up a concession stand for your school?

Contact Wake County Environmental Services at 919-856-7400 and review the NC Food Code and NC .2600 Rules


If you have a concern about food safety at an establishment, speak to the manager directly. If you still have concerns, you may also call us at 919-856-7400 to register a complaint. 

Additional Resources

    Contact Us