Pages: default
Version HistoryVersion History




Opening a Restaurant, Day Care, Motel?

Scheduling Start Date


Scheduling End Date


Article Date





Andre Pierce

Contact E-Mail Address



Food, Institution and Sanitation

Classification Type

Reference Information



Page Content

Call before you buy or build

Buying an Existing Facility?

Stop! Before you buy an existing restaurant, hotel, day care, etc., call us at 919-856-7440 to discuss transitioning the health permit from the former owner to the new one. Permits do not transfer at the sale of the business. You may be eligible for a transitional permit; however, staff will have to evaluate each situation. View contact names.

Building / Buying / Remodeling?

Before you build, buy or remodel, call us at 919-856-7440. Sinks, hoods and other equipment must be designed and placed appropriately and in synch with the building inspector. Follow these steps to avoid costly delays from having to redo your project.

Plans must be submitted with the necessary paperwork (see applications below) to the local municipality in Wake County that will issue building permits for the project (Raleigh, Cary, Apex, Holly Springs, Fuquay-Varina, Morrisville, Garner, Wake Forest, Wendell, Knightdale, Rolesville and Zebulon). Projects located in unincorporated areas of Wake County must be submitted to the Wake County Planning, Development and Inspections Division.

Plan Review Applications –

You may need other permits – Check with the following to be sure you comply

  1. Prepared Food and Beverage Tax
  2. Beer and Wine License
  3. Business Personal Property Taxes
  4. Alcohol Beverage Control (ABC)
  5. Your town's zoning, building and public utilities department
  6. Division of Child Care Facilities



Rollup Image


Social Sharing Title


Social Sharing Description


Social Sharing Image URL

Approval Status Approved
Content Type: Article Page
Version: 17.0
Created at 9/25/2012 12:01 PM by Stephen R. Walston
Last modified at 5/7/2018 3:34 PM by Stephen R. Walston





         Wake County Departments & Agencies: