All applications must be submitted through the Permit Portal.

Submittal guide for vendors

Submittal guide for event coordinators


A TFE permit is required to sell food or drink at a special event. This permit is issued in conjunction with a fair, carnival, circus, public exhibition or other similar gathering that operates for a period of 21 days or less. Examples are the NC State Fair, holiday festivals, traveling carnivals and special events.

Vendors who sell only dipped ice cream, shaved ice, popcorn, candied apples, cotton candy, funnel cakes, doughnuts, peanuts and commercially prepackaged chips and candy do not have to get an operational permit from this Department; however, vendors should contact the NC Department of Agriculture at 919-733-7366 to determine if a permit is needed from them.

There is a $75 fee for each TFE permit issued. Coordinator applications, vendor applications and vendor fees must be received by Wake County Environmental Services at least 15 calendar days prior to the event for consideration. Each question must be answered, or the application will be returned.


Some vendors may be exempt from the North Carolina regulations requiring an operational permit to prepare and sell food or drink for pay.

For more information contact Laura Lerch at 919-856-6609 or email

Payments: May be called in to 919-856-7400.