Pages: tfe
Version HistoryVersion History




Temporary Food Establishment

Scheduling Start Date


Scheduling End Date


Article Date





Meghan H. O'Connor

Contact E-Mail Address



Information Technology Services

Classification Type

Reference Information



Page Content

All "Temporary Food Establishment" (TFE) vendors should submit applications to the event coordinator.  Event Coordinators will collect applications and submit all applications to Wake County Environmental Services.

A "Temporary Food Establishment" (TFE) permit is required to sell food or drink at a special event. This permit is issued in conjunction with a fair, carnival, circus, public exhibition or other similar gathering that operates for a period of 21 days or less. Examples are the NC State Fair, holiday festivals, traveling carnivals and special events.

Vendors who sell only dipped ice cream, shaved ice, popcorn, candied apples, cotton candy, funnel cakes, doughnuts, peanuts and commercially prepackaged chips and candy do not have to get an operational permit from this Department; however, vendors should contact the NC Department of Agriculture at 919-733-7366 to determine if a permit is needed from them.

There is a $75 fee for each temporary food establishment (TFE) permit issued. How can I make a payment? Coordinator applications, vendor applications and vendor fees must be received by Wake County Environmental Services at least 15 calendar days prior to the event for consideration. Each question must be answered or the application will be returned.

Food Vendor Forms:

Temporary Food Establishment Vendor Application 

2016 State Fair TFE Application

Got to Be NC Vendor Application

Coordinator Form:

Temporary Food Establishment Coordinator Application


Temporary Food Establishment Rules (.2665–.2669)

NC Food Code Manual

Some vendors may be exempt from the North Carolina regulations requiring an operational permit to prepare and sell food or drink for pay.

For more information contact Laura Lerch at 919-856-6609. Applications should be faxed to 919-743-4772.

Payments: May be called in to 919-856-7400.



Rollup Image

Approval Status Approved
Content Type: Article Page
Version: 14.0
Created at 8/3/2012 11:16 AM by Meghan H. O'Connor
Last modified at 1/28/2016 1:34 PM by Nancy P. Breece





         Wake County Departments & Agencies: