​Wake County Environmental Services does not inspect private residences, apartments or places of business for mold. Right now, there are no laws regulating mold levels in private homes in Wake County or in North Carolina.

The following are some things you might do if you have a mold problem:

  1. Hire a private mold inspector or remediator. They can be found in the yellow pages or online under “environmental testing, mold testing or mold remediation, etc.” Hire a tester/remediator from the NC Health Hazard Branch’s list of contractors, who belong to trade groups and follow industry standards/guidelines in conducting mold evaluation and remediation. Be sure to check references.
  2. Contact building inspectors in your city/town if you feel there is structural damage, building code violations or safety issues caused by water leaks or moisture.
  3. If you are renting your home/apartment, always tell your landlord about your mold problems in writing. Date your complaint and keep a copy for your records. If you need legal help, contact the NC Attorney General’s Office (NC Department of Justice) at 919-716-6000 and ask to speak with a Landlord Tenant Specialist. You can also contact Legal Aid of North Carolina in Wake County at 919-828-4647.
  4. Call the NC Health Hazards Branch at 919-707-5950 to speak with an experienced Industrial Hygienist who specializes in mold. The Health Hazards Branch mostly works with office and workplace mold issues but may be willing to give you help or advice by phone.
  5. If you are having a mold problem at your workplace, you can also contact OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) at 1-800-625-2267. For mold problems in a building owned by Wake County, please call 919-856-2777.
  6. You can also contact the Plant Disease and Insect Clinic at North Carolina State University. The PDIC offers household mold identification to NC residents for $20 a sample.

For more information about mold:

For mold problems at regulated buildings in Wake County (such as daycares, schools and nursing homes, group homes) contact:
Andre Pierce, REHS