Wake County EMS supports many large public gatherings each year. We may offer EMS coverage for some smaller events.
We are unable to offer EMS coverage for most small athletic events, such as running and biking.
Regardless, we will be there quickly for any emergent need at any special event in Wake County, with a call to 9-1-1.
Information for Public Safety Agencies
All other organizers requesting EMS coverage:
- Complete this brief Request Form.
- Return to EMSevents@wakegov.com.
- Include maps (as outlined on the form).
- Return form at least 2 weeks prior to the event.
- It's never too early to request a date.
There are more events in Wake County than we can cover without negatively impacting 9-1-1 operations. We consider the following criteria in determining whether we will offer EMS coverage:
- 2,500+ event participants
- High risk factors for participants
- Total event crowd size
- Traffic impedance caused by the event (e.g., major road closures)
- Availability of EMS personnel
- Impact of the event on 9-1-1 operations
If we are able to offer coverage, we will determine what type of EMS resources we need to cover the event (ambulances, bike team, cart, supervisor, etc.).
You will receive a form confirming dedicated EMS coverage for your event, the type of EMS resources used, and an estimate of the total costs, which are based on rates set by the Wake County Commissioners.
Unfortunately, we are unable to donate services for nonprofit and/or fundraising events.
EMS special event coverage is intended for individual patient evaluation, treatment and/or transportation to an emergency department. It is not intended for, and is beyond the scope of EMS to provide, "first aid station" type services; for example: pain medicine for headaches, multiple ice packs or elastic bandages, other medical supply handouts, bottled water, etc.
EMS special event coverage rates: