- Local Governmental Employees' Retirement System
- Full retirement benefit after 30 years of retirement service, at age 60 with
25 years of service, or at age 65 with five years of such service
- Reduced retirement benefit at age 50 with at least 20 years of retirement
service, or at age 60 with at least five years of service
- Disability retirement after five years of service
- Death benefit of up to $50,000 after one year of retirement service
- Additional benefits for Law Enforcement Officers
The Employee contributes 6% of annual salary.
The County contributes an actuarially determined amount.
RETIREMENT SAVING PLAN OPTIONS
- Supplemental Retirement Income Plan of NC – 401(k) Plan
- Optional 457 Deferred Compensation Plan – ICMA Retirement
The County contributes an additional 5% of gross pay for each employee to
the 401(k) Plan. Employees may contribute voluntarily to 401(k) & 457.
Retirement benefits at age 65 (depending on year of birth),
reduced benefits at 62
Income for survivors and total permanent disability
Medical benefits for retirees over age 65 or totally
The County and the employee share the cost.