There are several steps homeowners can take to help protect their homes from sustaining losses. Many mitigation tips can be implemented with usually minimal effort and cost that may help protect your property during severe weather.

Protect your property

FEMA has compiled a free library of informational guides for protecting your home from a natural disaster. Visit the FEMA website to learn how to protect your property from flooding, high winds, and fire.

Inventory your property

A complete inventory of personal property will help obtain insurance settlements and/or tax deductions for losses. Inventory checklists can be obtained from your insurance representative. Be sure to take pictures and list descriptions. Store these and other important insurance papers in waterproof containers or in your safety deposit boxes.

Review your insurance policies and coverage

This action can help to avoid misunderstanding later. Separate policies are needed for protection against wind and flood damage. The following chart lists typical damages that are covered by home insurance policies; however, your policy may differ. Contact your insurance provider to find out more information concerning your specific policy.
repairs or replacement* of your home if damaged by certain events, including wind damage damage caused by flood waters, landslide, mudslide or mud flow
repairs or replacement of other structures, such as tool sheds, detached garages, etc.
personal belongings in your home and those of others living with you the amount of coverage for personal belongings is usually limited and additional insurance may be needed for items such as jewelry, silverware, furs, art collections, etc.
additional living expenses if your home is damaged and not fit to live in; includes the necessary increase in expenses incurred so that your household can maintain its normal standard of living only charges above and beyond your normal and customary expenses are covered
tree removal if the tree damages a covered structure, or blocks the driveway on the residence premises which prevents a vehicle from entering or leaving the premises, or blocks a ramp designed to assist the handicapped cost in excess of $500 regardless of the number of trees felled

Find out if your home is subject to flooding

Your local building inspection department has copies of the Flood Insurance Rate Maps that identify property subject to a 100-year storm frequency.