It is important for campaign committees to adhere to rules regarding the placement of and our request for removal of campaign signs and to control electioneering at the polling places on Election Day.

Sign Restrictions

  • For information on placement of campaign signs in Wake County municipalities, call the City/Town Hall of the individual municipality.
  • Directory of Officials that lists Town Hall phone numbers
  • For information on placement of campaign signs in the unincorporated area of Wake County (outside any municipality), contact the Zoning team at 919-856-6335.
  •  Prohibited Signs – Flashing signs, illuminated tubing or strings of lights outlining roof or building lines of structures, roof signs, portable signs, windblown signs, and suspended signs shall be prohibited in all zoning districts.
  • Signs for Which No Permit is Required – The following signs may be erected or displayed in any district without a permit, provided the uses of the premises upon which such signs are erected or displayed are in compliance with all other zoning regulations:
    • a) any sign containing less than two (2) square feet;
    • b) incidental signs, provided that the number and location of such signs are approved on plans submitted to the Wake County Zoning Administrator and that the number of signs is no greater than reasonably necessary;
    • c) political signs, provided no political sign shall be erected earlier than the established filing date for an election nor allowed to remain longer than fifteen (15) days after the election.
  • NC General Statutes Concerning Signs
    • Planned communities (homeowners associations) limiting the right to display political signs on private property GS 47F-3-121
    • Political signs allowed on DOT right-of-way (highways) GS 136-32
    • Political signs not allowed on electric company fixtures GS 14-156
    • Signs are protected from being damaged or taken down GS 14-384
    • Size requirement for print advertisements GS 163-278.39(b)
  • We are guests at all of our polling places, and we need your help for us to remain welcome. We ask that your committee arrange to clear the polling places and surrounding premises of all election materials as soon as the polls close at 7:30 p.m. on election night.

Reporting Sign Violations

Right of Way Violations (within city limits) Municipality
Right of Way Violations (not within city limits)
NC DOT 919-715-7000
Political Sign Content Violations NC State Board of Elections
Criminal Political Sign Damage or Removal Contact the law enforcement agency
of the appropriate jurisdiction.
Early Voting or Election Day - Sign Violations
(Signs placed within 50' of Entrance)
Wake County Board of Elections
919-404-4040 or

N.C.G.S. §163-166.4 states, “No person or group of persons shall hinder access, harass others, distribute campaign literature, place political advertising, solicit votes, or otherwise engage in election-related activity in the voting place or in a buffer zone...” The buffer zone will be 50 feet from the entrance to the polling place except where deemed by the Wake County Board of Elections to be necessarily closer, but no less than 25 feet from the entrance to the polling place. There will be publication of information regarding the entrance location and distance of the buffer zone no later than 30 days before the election.

Please visit our Polling Places webpage for more information about buffer zones.