All businesses must establish a property tax account with the Wake County Revenue Department for the purpose of annual taxation.
The completion of a business listing form is required of all individuals, partnerships, corporations and associations who, on January 1, own, control or possess any amount of leasehold improvements or tangible personal property used or held for a business purpose. The listing period is from January 1 through January 31 each year.
For more information regarding business accounts, please call the Revenue Department at 919-856-5400 or visit our Business Property Information
In addition to establishing a property tax account with the County, you may be subject to the Gross Receipts tax or require a Beer & Wine License if your business provides any of the following:
Prepared Food and Beverages
– This tax is applicable to all prepared food and beverages sold at retail for consumption, on or off the premises, by any retailer with sales in Wake County that are subject to sales tax imposed by the State under G.S. 105-64.4(a)(1). This tax is collected by the merchant, in addition to N.C. State Sales Tax, and is remitted to the County on a monthly basis.
– This refers to any rental vehicle that is offered at retail for short-term lease or rental and is owned or leased by an entity engaged in the business of leasing or renting vehicles to the general public.
Lodging (Room Occupancy)
– Incurred from the rental of any room, lodging or accommodation furnished by a hotel, motel, inn, tourist camp, or similar place within the County that is subject to the State sales tax imposed under Section 105-164.4(a)(3) of the North Carolina General Statutes.
Heavy Equipment Rental
- This gross receipts tax is a substitute for the property tax on short-term leases or rentals of heavy equipment and is collected from any rental location situated within a Wake County municipality that has chosen to implement the tax.
Beer & Wine
– A person holding a retail ABC permit for On- or Off-Premises Malt or Wine must obtain a county license for that activity. In order to apply for a county license, state and city permits must first be issued.
For more information regarding Gross Receipts tax or Beer & Wine Licensing, please call 919-856-5999 or select one of the above links.